Manga and the Japanese comics tradition

For this week a read up on some of Phoenix and Buddha by Osamu Tezuka. I gotta say his art style really appeals to me, which is weird because usually i'm not really fond of cute looking art but his holds so much expression and character movement that it's hard not to like it. I remember reading some of Black jack when I was a kid, which was more of an episodic type story. But all of these stories kind of perpetuate the importance of life in all forms. It was crazy to me when I heard Osamu Tazuka had a medical background, something that seems so practical with no opening for creativity. I'm glad he didn't stick with medicine, overall I really liked these stories, and I was surprised to see that even though they're kind of old they don't seem dated at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maus and the legitimation of the graphic novel

Eisner and Thompson