A wide world of comics

For this week I read Persepolis, a graphic autobiography by Marjane Satrapi that recounts her life in Iran during and after the islamic revolution. Persepolis was refreshingly honest, coming into this I thought her parents would be unsupportive and only cared about maintaining their fundamentalist view of everything, kind of dismissing whatever dream Persepolis would have. But it was the opposite, her parents believed in her very much and supported her in every step of the way. Something that if missing would have completely changed the course of her life. Maryjane recounts of depression and her suicidal attempt really showed the effects of the toxic society she had to be a part of. I could relate to this story, not with me personally but with my mom. She went thru some similar troubles growing up in Nicaragua but it didn't stop her from becoming a successful person. I really enjoyed this story and the art style was really appealing as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maus and the legitimation of the graphic novel

Manga and the Japanese comics tradition

Eisner and Thompson